Saturday, June 11, 2016

THE PARALLAX CONUNDRUM


   I was describing the Parallax Conundrum to George, my personal trainer. “OK, now the Parallax Conundrum applies to a lot of situations in life but the one that you might have experienced the most is this: You’re driving down the street and you spot a pretty girl walking on the sidewalk. There is also a telephone pole or other obstruction on the sidewalk.The Parallax Conundrum states that no matter how fast or slow traffic is moving (or even stopped) and no matter what direction she's walking in or speed she’s walking at, somehow the pole will always block your view of her.”

 “YES!” George exclaimed! “That’s amazing, it happens to me all the time. I know exactly what you’re talking about. I just didn’t know that there was an actual name for it.” 

 “There wasn’t”, I said, “I just made it up, but you know what I’m talking about, right?” “Absolutely!” he replied.

 Others that I have described the Parallax Conundrum to all have acknowledged having had the experience and have responded with remarks like “That just happened to me today."

 Is it a law of nature, a perversion of probability or just your plain bad luck?

 That's the Parallax Conundrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment